Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Slippery Slopes. Slippery Slopes Aplenty (3 weeks in).


Three weeks in. Vegan's pretty much been thrown out the door. You people are nuts. Actually, with all due respect, I do think you have to have some sort of "cause" or philosophical conviction to be vegan. I just can't eat beans and rice every day. Besides, when traveling, too much stuff is served with cheese. At this point, I'm just eating the cheese. I probably need the protein and the calcium. I've have no time for brittle bones and rickets. You know, as long as it isn't made from human breast milk. What else can I say? Ewww.

Furthermore, when Dave from eatbufordhighway.com (great Atlanta food blog) posted this video (a while back, but I revisited it), I knew that I would be powerless to the cheese's awesome power:


Other than my concession to dairy (shamefully, I don't like eggs, so they're a non-issue), I've been pretty good. Once I dropped vegan and went vegetarian, things got a LOT easier. Since the now-infamous "CarnivoreFest" debacle, the eating has been pretty spartan, devoid of pork, beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, duck, and Rodents of Unusual Size. That being said, a slippery slope manifested itself on one of my latest (of many) beeswax trips to Mobile, AL.

"If it can't run away from you, fly away from you, or swim away from you, then it's a vegetable. Think about broccoli...there it is, just sitting there. Oyster? Same thing." -quote from a very convincing co-worker of mine

The oyster po-boy is a regional delight of the gulf coast...deep fried gulf oysters on a french roll with lettuce, tomato, and remoulade. And on that last trip to Mobile, there was a Wintzell's right around the corner, so I had to act on impulse...and excellent reasoning on the providence of oysters.

Okay, and I also at a lobster. It was amazing. And some canned tuna. So, an oyster po-boy, a lobster, a can of tuna, and some cheese. Other than that, I'm still on the path of righteousness. By next week, I'm sure I will have rationalized that all seafood does not count as "animal". Can someone provide more folksy wisdom to bolster this concept?

blog comments powered by Disqus