Sunday, March 21, 2010

Seeking clever ways to work the word "groovy" into the title of this post


My first- particularly terrible- instinct was to title it "A Groovy Kind of Love"...



C'mon, Phil! Pictures like this and songs like the aforementioned-and-wisely-avoided potential title make me not want to think you're totally awesome. Can't we avoid the heartfelt cheese of the balladier and the artistry of a sternly-intense superimposed headshot and get back to the free-wheelin' Phil Collins? The free-wheelin' Phil Collins' mullet and the free-wheelin' days of "No Reply At All" and "Sussudio"? Okay, okay. I know "A Groovy Kind of Love" came out in 1988. So it's not like you've recently jumped the shark. Any I know the hair won't grow back. I have intimate knowledge of that depressing phenomenon. Maybe I'm just holding onto the past too tightly. Hey! I bet Phil Bailey's not doing anything...maybe a remake of "Easy Lover" with some auto-tuned T-Pain??

I can't believe I went off on a tangent. That never happens. Anyway, the whole "groovy" thing stems from a recent dunking o' the whiskers into several different bottles of Grüner Veltliner...an intimidating-sounding wine grape that is often referred to by the much "cuter" name of GrüVee (pronounced "groovy"), thus softening the awkward Germanic name (and lessening thoughts of robots dancing to techno music. Am I right?).

As I was (eventually) saying, Grüner Veltliner is basically THE white wine grape of Austria. The wine-growing regions of Austria are in the eastern part of the country, in and around Vienna. GrüVee makes food-friendly wines with flavors and aromas of minerals, pepper, herbs, peaches, and citrus. It's not Riesling. It's not Sauvignon Blanc. It's a pretty unique grape that makes awefully unique wines. But, yes, the name can be confusing. In fact, the German word for wine is "wein" and the word for Vienna is "Wien", thus easy fodder for mix ups. That being said, the German word for Viennese is "wiener", so a Viennese wine label written in German is a slow-pitch softball when it comes to sophomoric humor (see video below for details).

Getting back to the evening at hand, four said bottles of "GrüVee" (the umlaut is still a little intimidating) were graciously donated by Austrian Wine and the other three by Matt from Wine and I (thanks, chaps!). Not quite having the intestinal fortitude to down seven bottles myself, I called on the eager palates and steadfast livers of local Atlanta bloggers Ed from Wine Tonite!, Jimmy from Eat It Atlanta, and Broderick from Savory Exposure. We ranked four of the bottles (as part of a national blog-wide event called the "GrüVee" olympics...results HERE) and simply enjoyed the three from Wolfgang. As always, it was a great time, better represented in moving pictures than words on a webpage.

To protect the innocent, I've omitted the following transgressions from the video below, which is a brief recount of another fun and wine-soaked evening at Chez Wine Tonite:

1) Jimmy raising the roof (but I still have video evidence for the highest bidder)

2) My consumption of cured meats, in direct violation of Lenten observance

3) Ed's and my utter perplexity at the existence of a Sonoma winery's cork in a bottle of Gevrey-Chambertin, along with the Burgundy's cork. Also eliminated are our hypotheses on counterfeit bottles and how this crazy coincidence could've occurred (Ed realizing the next day that the Sonoma cork was on his opener, and our hazy opening of the Gevrey had simply pushed the original cork down into the bottle. As my friend Disco Stu used to always say, "oh, sooo dumb.")


blog comments powered by Disqus