Sunday, August 8, 2010

Dinner for Schmuck

I've seen an awful lot of pub for the movie "Dinner for Schmucks" lately. I'm horribly skeptical. The previews are nothing more than clips of Steve Carrell saying particularly stupid things that- I suppose- are intended to be funny. I do think Carrell can be hilarious, but sometimes bad writing is insurmountable. Case in point: I'm not famous yet. Nor am I rich. Guess I'll be firing my writer. However, regardless of my schmuck-status, I was recently invited to a dinner that was worthy of those movie star-types. Perpetrated by hosts Brad (twitter.com/biskuitATL) and Jimmy (eatitatlanta.com), the dynamic duo/gruesome twosome took on recipes from Thomas Keller's heralded French Laundry Cookbook. The pics obviously don't do justice, but the meal was as ambitious as it was tasty. Throw in some impressive wines, including a trio of Chardonnay-based whites from Burgundy (crisp, minerally Premier Cru and Grand Cru offerings from Burg's most northerly region of Chablis, and a much richer expression of the grape from Meursault, further south in the Côtes de Beaune). The night also ended with a (suspected) 1960 vintage Port...not something many people get to try everyday. Needless to say, there was nothing disappointing about this dinner for schmuck(s).

blog comments powered by Disqus